The last outing of the season was made on Sunday to this important industrial building in Musselburgh Col James Paterson a local man came back home and invented a machine capable of tying knots in fishing nets in 1812. His company and patent was bought by JW Stewart in 1849 who established a new factory on the Esk.
The factory which is a magnificent industrial complex bears the date 1867. The factory became a world leader in the production of nets, with sales and repair facilities in North America, Europe and Australia. At the height of its production it employed 800 people. It was slow to adapt to man made fibres and declined. In 1983 it moved to Inveresk industrial estate and to Eyemouth in 1998. The mill complex was sensitively restored by Isertal developments and was crowned with the Hayweights clock in 1990.
The group was welcomed and shown round by Malcolm Gillies and were greatly impressed by what he has achieved in this site which was virtually derelict.
It now has fine office complexes, a gallery space and the fine Glasshouse Restaurant.
The first lecture of the season will be at the Seabird Centre, North Berwick when David Berry will give a talk entitled Lighthouses of the Forth.