Saturday 3rd August. A guided walk round the historic village of East Linton with Garry Menzies
This historic town lies north of the river Tyne with the Lynn that supported four mills. The 16th century “Linton brigges” over the Tyne on Great North road from the south. Surrounded by fine agricultural land local residents, Sir George Buchan-Hepburn, George Rennie, Andrew Meikle and Robert Brown of Markle all played an important part in the agricultural improvements of the 18th century. In the 19th century the fine landscape, stone buildings with pantiled roofs brought many artists to the area. Nearby lies village of Preston, with the parish church, site of Friary of the Red Friars and Preston Mill. This walk will concentrate on the town, the mills and the bridge.
For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
From the old to the new, the story of Tyninghame Village.
Saturday 9th March 2019, Maitlandfield Hotel, Haddington 2.30pm.
Detailed research into the Kirk Session Minutes of the old parish of Tynninghame, that was joined to that of Whitekirk in 1761; together with documents held in the NRS, and field walking, has helped to discover more about the site of the early village, and when and what led to the establishment of the present village of Tyninghame. The talk will be followed by a visit to the house & church in September.
The history of the estate of Keith Marischal has been a topic of dispute for almost two hundred and seventy years. On the 9th February 2019 there will be a joint presentation on the hidden histories of the property. Keith Marischal was the ancestral seat of the Keith family from at least the twelfth century. By the sixteenth century they were described as the richest earls in Scotland, their power centred on the famous Dunnottar Castle near Aberdeen. Keith Marischal remained symbolically important as their ancestry home and for its useful proximity to Edinburgh. The house and barony were sold due to the financial mismanagement of the seventh Earl Marischal in November 1642.
Dr Miles Kerr-Peterson will explore the history of the building over the centuries as the Keiths’ medieval tower developed into a grand Renaissance Palace before parts were gradually demolished. On one side of a courtyard once stood a great hall “which surpassed anything of the kind” 110 feet in extent and 3 stories in height, almost as long as the Great Hall of Stirling Castle. David Affleck, curator of the current Exhibition on The Last of the Hepburns of Smeaton will reveal the work done in the 19th C. to show that while the Hepburns had acquired the estate from the Keiths, the 17th Century Sir Robert Hepburn of Keith who died in 1683 was not descended from the Hepburn of Smeaton line. This is significant as there are families living in Australia who believe that they had an ancestral link with the Hepburns of Keith and through him, the earlier Smeaton line. In addition, the birth name of Sir Robert’s nephew was Congalton. He had adopted the surname of Hepburn as a requirement of his uncle’s will and became an active Jacobite in 1715. Accounts that the Hope family of Hopetoun had acquired Keith Marischal estate before 1715 can now be disproved.
Taken together, the hidden histories of the property and the ownership can now be revealed and will demonstrate the significance of the estate and its Keith and Hepburn owner in this part of East Lothian’s history.
The presentations are part of the winter lecture programme of the East Lothian Antiquarian and Field Naturalist’s Society and will be held at the Maitlandfield Hotel Haddington on Saturday 9th February at 2.30.
- 9th Feb 19 – Talk by Keith Marischall
- 9th March 19 – Talk on Old Tyninghame
- 12th April 19 – Annual Dinner speaker Tim Porteous
- 11th or 18th May 19 – AGM Chalmers Memorial Church
- 13th July 19 Marchmont House
- 4th August 19 – East Linton Village Gary Menzies
- 7th September 19 Tyninghame House and Church
On Saturday 6th June the Society visited Aberlady Bay the outing was organised by John Hunt and led by the warden John Harrison This was a very pleasant afternoon.
Please note different dates from the sheet issued. Continue reading
4h June Celebration of John Rennie
b 7/6/1761 d 4 /10 /1821
For background information see document already issued.
The exhibition “ John Rennie FRS eminent Civil Engineer” opens in The John Muir Birthplace High St Dunbar at 10am
We are to meet as a group at 1130
Lunch will be available in West barns Hall
Meet at 2 30 at the Memorial at Phantassie for a commemoration, followed by a walk through the grounds of Phantassie and tea at Prestonkirk Stables. Continue reading
The 2011/12 programme. Continue reading
Saturday 10th June The May island is now an important National Nature Reserve particularly for seabirds in the Firth of Forth. It was an important ecclesiastical settlement in the Middle Ages particularly associated with St Adrian.It ceased to important in this way at the Reformation. The Reformers were interested in preaching to the people but not in venerating Holy Places. This will be a whole day excursion because for a party of any size the island has to be approached from Anstruther.