The East Lothian Antiquarian and Field Naturalist Society enjoyed a field trip to Pressmennan Wood on Saturday 4th June.
The Society visited Barony House, Lasswade on Sunday 11th October 2015. Members were met by the owners Mr and Mrs Davies, who kindly opened their home and garden. Stephen Davies led a tour of the house and garden and explained its rich history including especially its notable occupant Sir Walter Scott and his wife Charlotte.
Barony House originated as Lasswade Cottage, which was built in 1871 by John Clerk of Eldin House for his nephew. He was the seventh son of Sir John Clerk of Penicuik. His brother-in-law was Robert Adam, the most notable architect of the day. John Clark was, among other achievements, a pioneer of the late 18th century romantic landscape movement and extended a smaller house into a “cottage-orne” with a thatched roof and bow-fronted living room. This unique house attracted the newly married Sir Walter Scot, who rented it in 1798 as a summer retreat. Scott and his wife spent six years there, entertaining his many admirers and friends including the Wordsworths and Thomas De Quincy. In 1804 Scott was appointed Sheriff Depute of Selkirkshire and moved away.
In 1865 the house was enlarged by the Clerk family as a dower house adding new gables and
Further extensive additions were made by the architect James Tait from 1913-1919.dormer windows in the Scottish Baronial style.
At the conclusion of the visit members were entertained to tea and spent some time enjoying the garden.
Thanks were expressed to Mr and Mrs Davies by the president.
An old postcard of “Lasswade Cottage”
East Lothian Antiquarian Society visited Nunraw House on Sat 10th August. They had visited Garvald village in July and this visit was in a sense a follow up because Nunraw House is the main residence in the parish.It was also in a sense a valedictory visit because we were informed on arrival that the house has been put up for sale.
East Lothian Antiquarians had a most enjoyable outing in July to Garvald village Stephanie Leith, an archaeologist with East Lothian Council archaeology service and a member of the Society led the group through the village and outlined the history and architectural features of the historic properties in this important conservation village.
East Lothian Antiquarian and Field Naturalists society visited Colstoun on Saturday 21st July.The visit should have taken place on the 7th July but had to be cancelled on that day because of flooding. Fortunately the 21st was a lovely day.
The group was welcomed by Ludovic Broun Lindsay,whose grandmother Edith,Lady Broun Lindsay was a former president of the society. He outlined the history of the house and family over many centuries.
Christian Broun, heiress to Charles Broun, married The 9th Earl of Dalhousie,who among other appointments was governor of Canada 1819-28 and C in C India from 1829-32 Her son was the 10th Earl and only Marquis. He died in 1860 without a male heir.The Marquis was Governor General of India from 1847-56. During his time great reforms were carried out and vast territories annexed.
Despite the awful weather members of East Lothian antiquarian and Field Naturalists society made an outing to Mellerstain, Berwickshire, the home of the Earl and Countess of Haddington on Sunday 5th August.
The members of East Lothian Antiquarian and Field Naturalists Society made an expedition by coach to Abbotsford near Melrose, the home of Sir Walter Scott, on Saturday 6th August.
The members of East Lothian Antiquarian and Field Naturalists Society had a most enjoyable outing to Eyemouth on Saturday 9th July.
The last outing of East Lothian Antiquarian and Field Naturalists Society for the season was to Newbattle Abbey at Dalkeith on Saturday 16th October.
The last outing of the season was made on Sunday to this important industrial building in Musselburgh Col James Paterson a local man came back home and invented a machine capable of tying knots in fishing nets in 1812. His company and patent was bought by JW Stewart in 1849 who established a new factory on the Esk.