The 10th AGM of East Lothian Antiquarian and Field Naturalists’Society was held in Prestongrange Parish church on Saturday May 11th by kind permission of the Kirk Session.
The Society was were welcomed by Mr Ian Wallace,the session Clerk. The President Stephen Bunyan, welcomed members to the meeting. There were a number of apologies.
Members held in remembrance three members who had died in the course of the year Mrs Sarah Tennant,Mrs Jean Colley and Dr Islay Donaldson and two former members Mr Stewart Ritchie and Mr John Edington. [Dr Arthur Taylor, a former member of Council also died in the course of the year]. The minutes of the agm of 2013 were accepted. The president read the annual report for the year which had been successful.The Hon Treasurer Joy Dodd presented the accounts and it was reported that the next volume of the transactions was well in hand and would be published in 2015.
The office bearers and members of council were re elected and the Duke of Hamilton was elected and welcomed as a new member of Council.
At the conclusion of the business Mr Wallace gave an account of the history of the parish church. The first minister John Davidson was appointed in 1595. Davidson was at odds with the king and was banished to Preston pans which had not had a minister for fifty tears and where there was neither church nor manse. He raised money to build both by 1597 and established a school.This meant that it was probably the first church built for the reformed church Mr Paton then traced later developments leading to the present church and after tea led some members round the grave yard.
Thanks were expressed to the church for their hospitality.
An outline of the programme for 2014/15 was given.
New members are welcome and should contact the Hon Sec Graeme Bettison or any other member of council.