Members enjoyed their first outing of the summer with a visit to Portmore Gardens at Eddlestone near Peebles.
Once part of the Blackbarony Estate, Portmore was purchased by the Earl of Portmore in the 18th Century. It was later sold to the Mackenzie family and the house was built by William Forbes Mackenzie in 1850.
The property and gardens were in disrepair when bought by the current owners Mr and Mrs Reid in 1987. Since that time they have lovingly restored them.
Members were guided by Ken Kennedy, the Head Gardener, who has worked at Portmore since the earliest days of the restoration project. They were able to see a wide range of plants and magnificent trees outdoors as well as in a number of glasshouses. One glasshouse has a grotto built for a past owner, Mrs Robertson, to remind her of her home in Italy. Members were able to buy plants before afternoon tea. Mr Kennedy answered a range of questions about the garden and its flora.
Vice President, Jacquie Bell, gave thanks to Mr Kennedy for his informative input to an enjoyable outing.
The Society’s next outing will be to Marchmont House on July 13th.